Sunday, May 1, 2011

Introduction: Just Do the Next Right Thing!

Hello to you! I would like to share with you why I am writing this blog... which is a very scary thing for me!

I want to share what I have learned while raising my son, things that I hope and pray will encourage you and push you to work on the "next right thing" with your son or daughter who has Down Syndrome or any developmental disability. 

If you are a parent or caregiver I am sure you have heard these words: "I don't know how you do it! You are amazing." To be honest, I hate those words as it is not true. I just do the "next right thing" as I am sure is true with you as well. (I believe I learned the doing the next right thing idea from Elisabeth Elliot.) We are just everyday people who have been given the responsibility of raising a child with disabilities and challenges. 

It has been and still is hard, there was much fear in the unknown and fear in the big goals. I want to share steps I have taken, little ones that have helped me reach my goals for my son and myself.

My goals for the future: 
  • I want to experience the empty nest like my friends. For me that means helping, teaching, training Timothy to be as independent as possible. 
  • I have a goal that Timothy would not be a burden to his brother and sister when I am gone. 


These goals bring joy and pain to my heart. I also must admit to you it feels overwhelming at times to be taking on this huge task. Timothy learns and retains things like the waves of the ocean; he learns a new task, I am thrilled and so is he... then he seems to lose it as the wave goes back out to sea and we again teach, train and move ahead ever so slowly.


He will be turning 29 years old in 5 days and I am still teaching, training and learning along with him. The task still feels overwhelming at times but I hope to share little steps in areas such as shopping, talking, banking, riding public transportation and so much more that you too will keep going on this delightful yet uphill journey. I hope we will be able to encourage each other to just do the next right thing!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for moving out of your comfort zone to blog and share it with us. Your doing so is an encouragement to me, although I have not had the same responsibility as you in parenthood. To see my friends learning, testing, affirming, and "doing the next right thing" is the encouraging part. I hope I can encourage you with my "atta-girl" cheer and my prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sue, You are one of my dearest friends. By your example,honesty & wisdom you have encouraged & helped me & my family to leave the ways of the world behind (where we had srife & hardship) & to live a life in a manner that is pleasing to our Lord (where we found peace & joy). And even tho' you had your own family to care for you always made time to answer a multitude of my questions. I am so glad you are starting a blog where you are able to share your experience & love with anyone in need. Thank you for having the desire to be a willing vessel & servant for the Lord, you have so much knowledge to share. I pray many families will be blessed & strengthend in the hope of a brighter future.

    Lord bless you always~ Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to have found your blog. Our daughter with Down Syndrome is 17. We are fast approaching adulthood, and realize that this time has come much more quickly than expected. We do need to spend more time figuring out how to best help her on her journey to becoming more independent. Thanks for your gentle prodding.

    ReplyDelete