Monday, March 19, 2012

socialization

socialization..... oh, how I hurt when I hear that word! And I saw it again this past summer at a park in Santa Cruz. 
    There I was with my dear grandchildren and not thinking about the separate world I live in with my other son Tim.... until I saw him... a young man playing basketball all by himself and I knew as I watched him that he had Down syndrome. I thought about just walking by as I had on my hat of "Nana" and not my "advocate for people with Down syndrome" hat... But I bet you can guess what I did?
      I went up to the man with the young man and introduced myself and talked with him thinking he was the father. "Oh, no, he corrected. I am just a friend/mentor."  As I walked away I was reminded how much it takes to be a parent, the sacrifice, the ownership, the hard-work and so much more. The man cared, yes, I think to a degree, but not like a parent.
     So I wanted to thank each of you that reads this and is a parent. Thank you for giving of yourself, your dreams and so much more to be all you can be your your child. 
  God bless you,
       Humbly yours,
                  Sue

1 comment:

  1. I want to thank you my Humble Sue for putting the dreams of others ahead of yours. You are amazing.
    your loving husband,
    Buck

    ReplyDelete