Tuesday, August 23, 2011

graduation for Tim in meal preparation!!!!

Congratulations Tim! Yes, it is a graduation of sorts, because Tim is no longer going shopping with me or asking me for help with his shopping lists..... he has a job coach that is helping him transition into doing it "ALL BY HIMSELF"!  this is exciting for Timothy and ME! Yes, let's be honest, it has much to do with my willingness to help him and push him and cheer him on.
     You might be wondering how did we celebrate? Well, first of all he applied for his own Safeway card and our wonderful cashier, Lulu, who has worked with us through all the transitions, was there to shake his hand and help him go through the line the first time without me! Then there was the family celebration where we has a special dinner and toast and praised Tim for all his hard work to reach this goal. They the day "Robert" came to take Tim out shopping without me and I waved to him as he left. The smile on Tim's face was worth it all!
        OK, so now I have to tell you what happened just yesterday as it reminds me of the wave effect. I have always reminded myself and other parents with children who have DS that the learning curve seems to be more like a an ocean wave that comes in and make a huge impression and statement like when Tim would learn a new skill, word, or ability.  Then the next day, he couldn't do it, say it or perform it..... like a wave that went back out to sea leaving no trace that it was there.  It was most frustrating as a parent of a young child, who I so badly wanted to be ahead or at least not so far behind.  So I am now going to be honest that I had the feeling of this graduation going out to sea and fear of having to start over! :-(
          I find out that Tim took some of his DVDs to his place of employment and was asking people to please buy them from his as he was in need of money. I was mortified! After much questioning and circles of thought trying to understand Tim's motivation.... it appears he spent almost $100 on food yesterday and was worried that he was running out of money. It made me smile as I realized we had not taught or set a line that would mean you are in trouble. So we talked and decided that it would be $300. When he gets that low in his checking account he should talk to mom.  :-)   Now you must realize that Tim is very thrifty and keeps track of his money to the penny! And he has  hundreds in his checking right now.  And he explained to me that his goal is a thousand and so he did not want to buy food!  So we have another goal to set of understanding when it is right to spend money on food!  I hope this made you laugh or at least smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment