Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Riding the bus

How did I get here?
              As I step in and up I feel like I entered another world. Some unfamiliar smells hit my senses as well as people I make eye contact with and many who look away. My son Tim follows me in and we find some seats and I try to talk upbeat about this wonderful adventure on public transportation. I must admit that riding public transportation has been limited in my life except in foreign countries where it is part of the culture. But here I was in a strange culture and feeling unsafe and unraveled. But I am trying to talk up beat and encouraging to Tim as I explain the pull string and we get out our map and watch the route.
              This is one of the many times in my life that I feel like giving up and running away and doing some pity me crying. But that is not a real choice if I love my son. You see, Tim is 29 years old and a great guy! He is loving and kind and gives people the benefit of the doubt. He loves to please and tries hard at all he does. And oh, did I mention he was born with Down syndrome? I love to keep the point to the end when I introduce him as it is not the most important thing about my wonderful son but it affects everything he does!
      
     So where are we?  We are on the bus learning how to get around town so Tim may be as independent as possible, that is my goal and it takes me places I never planned on going. So the first step was riding the bus with him and teaching him many things that our common sense would teach us but Tim needs to hear them from me. Then I let him ride the bus alone.... yes, I was in my car and followed it for the first couple of times. Then we moved up to Tim calling me on his cell phone when he arrived.... and now he just rides the bus. Do I still worry sometimes? of course, that is what mothers do for all their children all their lives.   :-)
     What things do we talk about?  We talk about picking a seat near the front so the bus driver can help keep us safe.  We talk about not giving any one any of our money even if they look real sad and want us to help them. We talk about not sitting by a person who is acting or talking angry. We talk about watching the route so we remember to get off. We talk about not eating on the bus as it takes too much concentration when we are just riding around town. We talk..... and talk........   And so adventures come our way as we live and teach and grown toward our goals of living life to the fullest.

     I am excited to tell you that this is another area where Tim has graduated! yes, he is taking the bus around town and has a schedule in his back pack. yea, Tim! Does he some times still get confused and need my help?  YES but we are headed to great goals and we are smiling!
 

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post! I am looking forward to do this with my son.
    Varsha

    ReplyDelete